"The Turks are coming!" The cry rang through the market village of Pausram. "The Turks are coming!" It came louder this time. Dogs barked wildly, and somewhere a woman screamed.
Justin dropped his needle and looked at Father in alarm. "It sounds as if they are already here!"
"You hide. I'll lock the doors." Father's voice was urgent. "I hope Stefan isn't captured. I wish he were home!"
The Kemptens, a Moravian family, search for spiritual security after the Turks kidnap their son Stefan. Driven from home and sold into slavery, Stefan seeks answers to his perplexities and begins to find them through the Greek Brethren.
This captivating story is built upon an often overlooked but significant event in Anabaptist history recorded in the Martyrs Mirror. Through some Moravian captives, the Thessalonican Christians learn about the Anabaptists of Moravia.
Lovers of the Truth is a well-researched, stirring story developed from this historical record. It should inspire readers of all ages to be sincere lovers of the truth.
- 1. "The Turks Are Coming!"
- 2. John Peck Visits
- 3. Stefan and the Turks
- 4. Aunt Maria
- 5. Farther From Home
- 6. Uncle Josef Comes to Visit
- 7. Love in Action
- 8. Osman Escapes
- 9. A Talk With Leonard
- 10. A Night Meeting
- 11. Stefan Travels South
- 12. Wolfgang Orders a Jerkin
- 13. More Questions Answered
- 14. Journey to Thessalonica
- 15. Father and Mother Decide
- 16. "You Sound Like an Anabaptist!"
- 17. The Slave Market
- 18. Steven Goes to Church With the Solomos Family
- 19. Grandfather Speaks His Mind
- 20. Where Is the Church of God?
- 21. Steven Visits the Tailor's Shop
- 22. Steven Speaks to Alexander
- 23. Justin Helps Grandfather
- 24. Anton Is Not Home
- 25. Anton's Reply
- 26. "What Do You Think?
- 27. Justin and Barbeli Talk
- 28. The Church of God
- 29. Ioannis Makes Travel Plans
- 30. The Strike at Steinabrunn
- 31. Leonard Brings News
- 32. Steven Writes a Letter
- 33. Escaped From Trieste
- 34. Father and Mother Are Baptized
- 35. The Long Journey
- 36. The Greeks Arrive in Nikolsburg
- 37. Meeting the Swiss Brethren
- 38. Communion of the Saints