Worth Dying For: A Story of the Waldensians
- Paper cover
- 248 pages
- 0.64 lbs
A lone soldier came riding to the door of Perry's cabin. He summoned Perry outside, and gravely read the edict which had been passed.
Be it hereby known that every member of that false sect known as the Waldensian is commanded to appear before the burgomaster at ____, within three days of the reading of this edict; and shall there solemnly swear under oath that he will from henceforth and for the remainder of his life, regularly attend holy Mass, and will do all within his power to have his children also in attendance.
Any person who obstinately refuses to take this oath of allegiance to the holy mother church, be it known that his property, goods, and chattels will immediately be confiscated, and he and his house will be put to the sword, as is a fit death for all such heretics.
"Did you understand what I read?" asked the soldier.
"Yes," spoke Perry with bowed head, "I understood it."
At first the Waldensian could scarcely believe what they had heard. Surely, there must be a mistake. The only course left to them would be to flee to the mountains. This, in the dead of winter, would be tragedy.
- Author's Introduction
- Chapter 1 - An Exciting Day
- Chapter 2 - Nanny to the Rescue
- Chapter 3 - God Takes Away
- Chapter 4 - Unexpected Visitor
- Chapter 5 - Plans That Failed
- Chapter 6 - The Schemes of the Wicked
- Chapter 7 - Clyde Jeanviller
- Chapter 8 - God Giveth
- Chapter 9 - The Trials of Perry
- Chapter 10 - Souls Won for the Kingdom
- Chapter 11 - End of a War
- Chapter 12 - Searching for the Light
- Chapter 13 - A Waldensian Meeting
- Chapter 14 - Jim Goes Over the Mountain
- Chapter 15 - Joys and Sorrows
- Chapter 16 - New in the Faith
- Chapter 17 - Departure of the Dobberstens
- Chapter 18 - A Den of Thieves
- Chapter 19 - A Strange Land
- Chapter 20 - Homeward Bound
- Chapter 21 - Distant Relatives
- Chapter 22 - Watering the Plants
- Chapter 23 - The Storm Breaks
- Chapter 24 - No Turning Back
- Chapter 25 - The Last Days of Perry
- Chapter 26 - The Final Invitation
- Chapter 27 - Ordeal on the Mountain
- Chapter 28 - Journey's End
- Chapter 29 - A Mountain Home
- Chapter 30 - This World's Riches
- Chapter 31 - Winter Comes Again
- Chapter 32 - Sending the Light
- Chapter 33 - Jim's Return Trip
- Chapter 34 - The Wrong Road
- Chapter 35 - The Call to Maturity
- Chapter 36 - What God Hath Joined Together
- Chapter 37 - Another Responsibility
- Chapter 28 - A New Dawn