"To every thing there is a season," wrote Solomon.
The season for children's stories is always "in." What child doesn't come running when an adult asks, "Want a story?" And what parent or schoolteacher isn't on the constant lookout for a new storybook with fresh adventures and healthy values?
Verna Martin has helpfully clustered these fifty-two stories around the four seasons of the year--thirteen stories for each season, one for every week of the year. She has drawn her stories from her parents and grandparents, from her children, from unforgettable acquaintances, from her own life of faith.
These are stories with moral fiber. They will not only delight children, but nourish them in the process.
Table of Contents
SPRING (March, April, May)
- 1. Joel Discovers the Dark
- 2. Giving Mother Away
- 3. Peter the Second
- 4. Different Mothers, Different Brothers
- 5. M. S. ... Guess Who
- 6. Wooly Pants and Wilted Plants
- 7. Mrs. Antique Dealer
- 8. The Rescued Fledgling
- 9. Borrowed or Stolen?
- 10. Foolishly Fancy
- 11. Jonathan "Cures" Craig's Meanness
- 12. King David, Anne Sullivan, and You
- 13. Shortcut Priscilla
SUMMER (June, July August)
- 14. Does Anyone Understand?
- 15. Considerin' an Ant
- 16. Wonderfully Made
- 17. Changed on a Tree Stump
- 18. The Smudges That Wouldn't Budge
- 19. Wesley and the Winslows
- 20. "Who's Next, Please?"
- 21. Dale's Dirty Dishes
- 22. Melissa Finds Comfort
- 23. Strawberry Red
- 24. Chester's Nose Trouble
- 25. Singing and Making Melody
- 26. Gone on Father's Day?
FALL (September, October, November)
- 27. Nose Marilyn and Her Brother
- 28. The Best Part of Michelle's Day
- 29. Great-Aunt Nettie, Her Roommate, and Pumpkin Pie
- 30. That Thanksgiving Essay
- 31. The Plan and That Last Spark
- 32. The Other Cousin
- 33. Little Ray in Big Harrisburg
- 34. Three's a Crowd
- 35. Blessing from A to Z
- 36. Just a Little Piece of Gum
- 37. The Red-Circled Day
- 38. Hansel's Missing Collar
- 39. Three Dozen Oranges?
WINTER (December, January, February)
- 40. Words and Toothpaste
- 41. Grandpa Brown's Sidewalk Chalk
- 42. Keeping the Woodbox Filled
- 43. Roy's Useless Days
- 44. "This Is the Day..."
- 45. Preacher's Children
- 46. This Little Light of Mine
- 47. What's an Appendectomy?
- 48. Amos's Trip to the Mill
- 49. The Boot Buckle
- 50. The Prize at Dentist Groff's Office
- 51. Sheryl and Her Scissors Lesson
- 52. "Happy Birthday, Cindy!"