Do you know why Christ chose a man carrying a pitcher of water to lead the disciples to the Last Supper? Or why the Samaritan woman came to the well in the sweltering heat of midday?
The Bible was written in a culture and land vastly different from our own. It is essential, therefore, that we understand the manners and customs of the time in order to fully understand the Scripture.
The New Manners and Customs of Bible Times will open your eyes to the lifestyles and customs of the Bible's writers and characters, giving you a clearer understanding of God's Word. You will be enlightened by helpful features including:
- "Look at Your Bible" sections giving special insight into Scripture
- more than 160 full-color and black and white photographs
- 58 pieces of original artwork
- detailed maps and diagrams
- numerous Scripture references on every page
- topical and scriptural indexes
Read detailed accounts of ancient customs regarding marriage, education, farming, dress, economics, food, housing, worship, and more.
In fact, the colorful artwork and fascinating text of The New Manners and Customs of Bible Times might make this the first reference book you will want to read cover to cover!
Part One: Family Life
- Domestic Activities
- Food and Meals
- The Family
- Collecting Food
- Craftsmen and Traders
Part Two: Institutions and Customs
- Towns and Villages
- Journeys and Travel
- Social and Political Groupings
- Government and Society