Here is an indexed, how-to resource book packed full of detailed curriculums, teaching techniques, and activities to promote basic skill development in special-needs children. It covers receptive and expressive language skills, visual and auditory discrimination and recall skills, cognitive skills, gross and fine motor skills, mathematics skills, and articulation skills. A glossary defines terms used in the book. Easily acquired teaching tools and addresses for resource materials are listed.
This book is designed for teachers or parents who have students functioning at a preschool level. It can be adapted to teach those with various handicaps and special needs. The core of the book is the outline of goals and objectives, listing the stages of development from early childhood through beginning first grade level.
Table of Contents
Section A: Getting Started
- Where to From Here?
- Using This Book
- Skill Goals
- Goals for Receptive Language
- Goals for Expressive Language
- Goals for Visual Discrimination
- Goals for Visual Memory and Sequence
- Goals for Auditory Discrimination
- Goals for Auditory Memory and Sequence
- Goals for Cognitive
- Goals for Gross Motor
- Goals for Fine Motor
- Goals for Mathematics
- Curriculum Planning
- Sample A
- Sample B
- Sample C
- Sample D
- Teaching Techniques for the Learning Task
- Teaching Tools
Section B: Language Skills
Receptive Language; Expressive Language
- Objective: Child will retrieve and label pictures of common objects.
Section C: Perceptual Skills
Visual Discrimination; Visual Memory and Sequence; Auditory Discrimination; Auditory Memory and Sequence
- Objective: Child will match colors.
Section D: Cognitive Skills
- Objective: Child will identify and label the shapes: circle, square, triangle.
Section E: Motor Skills
Gross Motor; Fine Motor
- Objective: Child will develop the ability to use eye-hand coordination and use a pencil.
Section F: Mathematical Skills
- Objective: Child will develop ability to identify size and quantity.
Section G: Articulation Skills
and Speech Therapy