This phonics course of 30 lessons teaches basic letter sounds and blending of sounds into words.
It was first written to supplement the 1964 edition of the "Bible Nurture and Reader Series" and was then called unit 0. The basic content is now included in the 1986 revised BNRS.
Each lesson has an advanced part to introduce digraphs, blends, silent letters, suffixes, and compound words. With a minimum of seatwork, this course is suitable for one-to-one teaching. Brief directions and picture labels appear in fine print at the bottom of the workbook pages.
The teacher's manual includes an inspirational reading for the teacher, detailed guidance for teaching the lessons, Bible Memory verses, extra drill activities, and extension exercises that can be used to teach geography, Bible, English, or math. Use of the phonics flash cards (from the Bible Nurture and Reader Series) is woven into the course.
Recommended (not included):
Contents - According to the Lesson Title Memory Verse
- How to Use This Book
- 1. "Abhor That Which Is Evil"
- 2. "Every Day Will I Bless Thee"
- 3. "In Every Thing Give Thanks"
- 4. "Honour All Men"
- 5. "Unto The Upright There Ariseth Light in the Darkness"
- 6. "Take Heed Unto Thyself"
- 7. "Consider What I Say"
- 8. "Now the End of the Commandment Is Charity"
- 9. "Power Belongeth Unto God"
- 10. "Be Content With Such Things as Ye Have"
- 11. "Delight Thyself Also in the Lord"
- 12. "Let Us Not Be Weary in Well Doing"
- 13. "My Times Are in Thy Hand"
- 14. "Give Unto the Lord Glory and Strength"
- 15. "Search the Scriptures"
- 16. "Rest in the Lord"
- 17. "Follow Me, and I Will Make You Fishers of Men"
- 18. "Happy Is That People, Whose God is the Lord"
- 19. "Watch and Pray"
- 20. "Judge Not According to the Appearance"
- 21. "Yield Your Members Servants to Righteousness"
- 22. "Vengeance Is Mine; I Will Repay, Saith the Lord"
- 23. "Zion Shall Be Redeemed With Judgment"
- 24. "Exercise Thyself Rather Unto Godliness"
- 25. "Quit You Like Men, Be Strong"
- 26. "Abraham Believed God"
- 27. "Even What My God Saith, That Will I Speak"
- 28. "I Will Behave Myself Wisely"
- 29. "Open Thou Mine Eyes"
- 30. "Use Hospitality One to Another"
Contents - According to the Letter Sounds
|Lesson||Main Sound||Extension Sounds|
|11.||d||doughnut||nt nd -ed (suffix)|
|12.||l||leaf||lt lk pt|
|13.||m||moon||mp mb=m kn=n|
|14.||g||grapes||bl cl gl pl|
|15.||s||sun||sc sk sn sm sp sl st|
|16.||r||rug||br cr dr gr pr tr|
|17.||f||fish||fl fr spl scr str|
|19.||w||window||oo||cook sw tw wr=r -ful (suffix)|
|20.||j||jar||ou||out g=j dge=j|
|21.||y||yarn||oi||joy lt lk lp lf ft pt|
|22.||v||vase||e(r)||burn ə about|
|23.||z||zip-zap s=z||o||bought or born|
|25.||kw(q) ||quilt||ar||car or fair (allowing er (or) ar)|
|26.||a||acorn c=s g=j ||ng||sing|
|27.||e||eagle||sh||she shr shred|
|30.||u||universe||th||thin thr thread th this -fish -y -ie -ly -less -ness (suffixes)|