Hard cover; 436 pages
A beginner's dictionary as enchanting as a favorite storybook
Merriam-Webster's language experts and beloved children's illustrator Ruth Heller have created a unique treasury of words for children ages 5 - 7.
- Nearly 1,000 age-appropriate entries accompanied by hundreds of captivating illustrations present a fascinating variety of words for young readers.
- Introductions to basic dictionary skills, alphabetization, spelling, word usage, and synonyms and antonyms expand linguistic horizons.
- Pronunciation sounds for each letter of the alphabet are amusingly rendered by the poetry and artwork of Ruth Heller.
- References to famous stories, fairy tales, myths, and nursery rhymes spark imagination and encourage further language exploration.
- Intriguing information about how words come to be and sometimes change in meaning enhances a child's understanding of language.
- A rich collection of jokes, riddles, and poems based on wordplay tickle the funny bone, making learning fun.
Each colorful and engaging page is designed to help parents, teachers, and caregivers introduce young minds to the wonderful, magical world of words—instilling a love of language that will last a lifetime.